Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Always read the label...

On Saturday I made the trek out to visit The Boy, and things just happened to work out that his friends decided to head out on the same weekend. I was really excited, since I haven't had many chances to meet them until now. We planned to meet up at Boy's house for some food and drinks, and then head out for a night on the town. It was a long trip, but everyone managed to get there safe, sound, and ready to have a good time.

We ordered in some pizza and everyone grabbed a drink that suited them. Boy had bought something he thought I might like to try: root beer flavoured vodka. We decided the best way to mix up the vodka was to add some ice, a little bit of water, and a little bit of vanilla to make a root beer float martini. It was suprisingly delicious, but seeing as is was basically straight vodka I decided that two were enough and I needed some mix in the next one.

When I was ready for a new drink, I raided the fridge and found an open carton of orange juice. The flavour of the vodka wasn't really strong, so I thought it would be okay. My first sip left me uncertain. It didn't taste bad, just....odd. The Boy tried it and told me to dump it down the sink right away, but one of his friends also tried it and he liked it. After another couple sips I decided it wasn't bad enough to waste and finished the drink without giving it another thought. The next drink I made I used plain vodka though, because although the first drink wasn't terrible it wasn't fantastic either. I walked back into the room, took a sip, and....it still tasted odd. I looked at my drink, confused, and informed the group that it might be the orange juice that was the problem. At this point, The Boy looks up and says, "Wait, which juice did you use? One of them might be expired."

Silence fills the room.

I walk back to the fridge and pick up the carton of juice. Not only was it expired, but it expired four months ago. And not only did it expire four months ago, but there was mold in the spout. Mold that I had completely failed to notice. And because I had failed to notice it, I drank a whole glass of moldy orange juice. Needless to say, the new drink was poured down the drain along with the rest of that carton. And the next drink I made, which used juice that was actually fresh, tasted much better.

Moral of the story: if you're using someone else's juice, it might be a good idea to read the label.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's important, in life. You know, the whole "using someone else's juice" deal...

    ReplyDelete