Friday, February 3, 2012

A wonderful wedding

Last weekend I went to my first wedding ever. Okay, not quite. I was a flower girl for my Uncle's wedding way back in the day, but the only thing I remember about that day is the purple satin dress I got to wear that my Grandma made for me. So I don't think that really counts.

The ceremony itself was wonderful. Aside from what I would consider to be very typical parts of a wedding ceremony, the couple did one thing that I really liked. They had a sand ceremony where they took turns pouring different colours of sand into a tear drop-shaped glass container. It was symbolic of their two separate lives coming together as one, and the resulting layered effect made a beautiful keepsake. I'll admit to tearing up a few times during the ceremony, there was so much love and happiness in the air it was hard not to get emotional.

The reception was also a success, with delicious food and fantastic dancing music. Plus, of course, the games. They had the bride and groom do the standard "hold up a shoe" game, and also did a game on the dance floor to determine who at the reception had been married the longest (one couple had been married 31 years!). However, one part made me laugh the hardest, and I'm not even sure it was intended to.

Partway through the night the DJ cleared the dance floor and told all the single ladies to come forward for the throwing of the bouquet. I figured I might as well, so I grabbed a few of my new-found friends to come up with me. We chose to hang out around the outskirts of the group, since none of us seemed to really care if we actually did catch it. The bouquet was passed to the bride, she turned around, and.....the DJ started blasting this song:


I was laughing so hard I completely missed the bouquet toss.

As per tradition, this was immediately followed by the groom removing the bride's garter and tossing it to the single men. The bride was set up in a chair, and the groom knelt down in front of her. Suddenly, the DJ asks, "Should we make this easy for him, or should we make this hard for him?" As rousing cries of "HARD" came out of the crowd, the groom was told he could not use his hands. Which may not have been a problem, except the bride was wearing a beautiful ballgown-style dress that must have had at least 7 or 8 layers of fabric for him to find his way through. Once again I was convulsing in fits of laughter on the side as the groom struggled to find his way inside this mountain of fabric, eventually emerging victorious with the garter in his mouth. Someone sitting at my table ended up catching it, which prompted me to ask him a somewhat mischevious question...

"Is it a problem that you're the next guy to get married, but your girlfriend is not the next girl?"

Thankfully he found it funny. My humour has a mean streak sometimes.

I've decided I would like more followers, so you can now find my blog on Bloglovin!

3 comments:

  1. I've been to tons of weddings. Since most of them have been as a child, I've learned to hate them. I usually ended up being that kid that couldn't handle the party and just decided to crash in a couple of chairs put together.

    Speaking of games, I once drew a comic of a newlywed couple playing Guitar Hero in their reception. I would totally do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, just have guitar hero set up in one corner of the room...

    That would be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently become obsessed with weddings, and pinterest is only fueling my addiction. But I've decided that when I get married, the reception WILL have a bouncy castle.

    http://theveryspecialepisode.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete