Sunday, February 12, 2012

The definition of snail mail

For those who don't know, I am currently in a long distance relationship with a wonderful man who lives on the other side of the country. We're lucky enough to have him out my way for business trips where his expenses are covered, so we share costs when I travel out there. He's working full time and I'm in school which means that quite often it works best for him to pay first and I either mail him a cheque or give one to him the next time I see him. Such was the case last June, when I sent Boyfriend a cheque to repay him for some expense or another. Unfortunately Canada Post happened to be on strike and my envelope promptly disappeared and was never seen or heard from again. Or so we thought.

A couple days a go, Boyfriend and I were on the phone having our (near) nightly good night chat. After catching up on each other's days, he tells me that he got an envelope in the mail today. Figuring it must be something pretty exciting for him to tell me about it, so I ask what was in it. His response? "I don't know, I haven't opened it yet, but it's got your name in the corner."

.......it does? I hadn't sent him anything that I could remember.

After a moment of silence, I realize that maybe my lost cheque finally made it's way to him. He opens it, and sure enough there's my cheque, dated June 1st, 2011. It took them 8 months, but the postman did not lose my mail at all. As much as I would have loved for it to get to him sooner, I admire their dedication. They must have been facing a mountain of unsorted mail when the strike ended, but they sorted it and got that envelope to where it was supposed to be. Besides, I had sent the cheque in a card, so he still got to enjoy that.

Mailmen, I salute you!

1 comment: