Monday, March 28, 2011

My poor little car...

I am the proud owner of a 95' Chevy Cavalier named Alfie that has more clicks on it than there is people living in my city. He's a good little car that's put up with a lot of abuse. This weekend was no exception.

I was in charge of sound equipment for an interactive dinner theatre production that happened Saturday night. We had to rent 4 gigantic speakers, 4 speaker stands, 2 projectors, 7 mikes (all in carrying cases the size of large laptops), a mixer, a DI box, and about 20 pounds worth of cables to connect all of this. I called a friend over to help me fit all this stuff in my car. We started out by putting one of the speakers in the trunk. We grabbed the speaker, hoisted it up and quickly found out that it was a little bit too large to fit into the trunk easily. It took us about 5 minutes of twisting, flipping, and some fine-tuned adjustments to find a way to get this speaker to fit through the opening. Then it became clear that only one speaker would fit in the trunk.

Eventually we got the one speaker and all of the speaker stands in the trunk, pulled down the back seat and put the other speaker, the 7 mikes, and one of the projectors on there, put the other projector on the floor in front of the passenger seat, and loaded the seat itself with the cables, DI box, the mixer, and eventually another piece of equipment we rented to deal with our issues with feedback. Someone else had to take the other speakers. Alfie did not like carrying this much weight. Driving him was like trying to push a giant boulder up a hill; possible, but you feel every ounce of effort you put in.

When we finally unloaded at the location, I felt like my car was a clown car, with more stuff coming out of him than should ever have fit in. And at the end of the night, poor Alfie had to be loaded up again so I could take all of the equipment back to the rentals place. It's a good thing he's such a loyal, stubborn little car, or he probably would have given up on me a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment