Saturday, April 2, 2011

I hate job hunting.

It's that time of year again. Time to put myself out there and hope that someone wants to hire me for the summer. My ability to pay for the next year of school rides on my ability to convince someone that I'm the perfect person to hire for their job. Not those other 100 people that applied, no. Definitely not. You want to hire ME.

Like almost everyone on this planet, I absolutely loathe job hunting. But this year, I have a plan. I'm applying for job I've help before. Same company, same position. Having done this job before HAS to give me an edge of some sorts, right? Plus it's related to my degree, so double bonus!

I've been watching the website they post on diligently and waiting for them to post it. I miss checking it for a couple days, and when I come back THE POSTINGS ARE UP! Except there's 5 postings for one job. Strange. I open the first one up and my heart sinks. They've cut back the hours on the job, and now it's part time. Each posting it for working different days of the week: mon-fri, tue-sat, thurs-mon...you get the idea. I really need full time work, so if I apply for this I'll have to find a second part time job to work around the first one. After much humming and hawing, I finally decide to just apply for it. I work hard making my cover letter sound as professional as possible, double check to make sure my resume is up to snuff, and send it off.

Lo and behold, while I was applying for the first position they posted two full-time positions. THIS is the job I really wanted! So then I had to apply again, and explain in my cover letter that yes, I did just apply for almost the exact same position a few minutes ago, but this wasn't posted when I did that so will you please consider me for this job instead? Not quite the professional image I was trying to project.

Now it's the waiting game. I sit here for weeks on end, applying to other jobs that I don't really want to do in case I don't get this one. Even when I hear back from them, it'll only be for an interview. Then the waiting game starts all over again.

Only 3 more years of job hunting before I actually will end up with a career. Yipee.

1 comment:

  1. You totally deserve to make money as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete